Saturday, March 18, 2006

NEW TENT!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

I LOVE EBAY!!!!!

As of late I have been on an ebay kick. I have been lucky enough to have all positive experiences so far hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself. The good news is that I bid on and won a brand new Mountain Hardware PCT 2. I got it for $100 when it retails for $175. Not a bad deal. This tent is pretty unique in its shape. The 2 in the title denotes that it is a supposed to be a 2 person tent. I can see where 2 normal sized people would fit SNUGLY into this tent. In fact, it is the perfect size for me and my gear. There are two mini-vestibules inside the tent and tons of pockets inside for organizing gear. One of the features I like the most however is the rain-fly. This flies gives two 8' sqaure vestibules outside the mesh for muddyboots additional gear or perhaps one day a dog. The fly also has two windows built in so you can get an idea of the conditions outside your tent(or for your buddy to scare the living piss out of you by peering in with the ole flashlight under the face creepy trick.) There ar ealso additional guy-out points on the fly for when things get really rough. All in all, I think i am going to love this tent.

So I won the bid and got my tracking number. In my excitment I watched the progress of my new tent via UPS.com and felt like a puppy awaiting his master at the window watching for my package to arrive. The buzzer rings and I fly down stiar with a huge grin on my face. I know I am silly, but I am REALLY excited at this point since I have been using the same crumby old dome tent since freshman year of high-school. It is so old that the walls are literally staritng to disintegrate, not particularly condusive to keeping out the elements or insects. Now when I get back up to my apartment it dawned on me that I have at least a week before I am going to be able to get some real dirt-time for my new home away from home. BUMMER DAY!!!! Well not quite. I figured that there is no reason I couldn't set it up at home and try it on for size at least. Great plan, right? Well all except the fact that this is not a free standing tent and reuires to me staked in at least 4 point to stand up correctly. Staked or tied. In my fervor I flipped up my bed against the wall and proceeded to figure out how I could rig some line around my room to 'stake' down the requisite points. I pulled out my trusty para-cord and went to task. 15 minutes later I had a complex web of paracord, dressers, radiators, and sharpies(yes the writing implement, the are really good for making toggles and stays.) running all around my room to simulate a full staking down of this portable palace. The good news was that I was efficient enough with my knot tying that I didn't even have to cut the para-cord at all. With my tent pitched, I grabbed agnes and a pillow and had a little campout. I love the size of my new tent. The dual wall design is awesome for removing condensation as well. I cannot wait to get her out in the field. In the morning I struck my tent and headed to work. My tent goes up in about 5 mins( proably faste ronce I get used to it) and comes down in a heartbeat. I also compared weights to my old tent and there is no comparison. The PCT weighs roughly half what my old tent did. WOOHOO. The pack is slowly getting lighter. Hopefully my next entry will have a full review and field test of the PCT2.

Blessings and Light,
'D'

(MORE SOON...I have some to write about this BIG adventure in my camping gear but time is not permitting)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home