Sunday, February 26, 2006

Trip 2: Lessons in waterproofing.

Mission: Burning the midnight oil
Date: 2/25 - 2/26
Temp: 10-29F Windchill-0F
Location: Forests near Elgin, IL
Purpose: Test out new gear and get in a solid hike before making camp.
Scenario: An unknown force detonates a huge EMP device knocking out all electronic in the Central US. We need to get out of the city fast.
Mission 2 was a last minute idea, just because we could. Each of us had a new piece of gear we wanted to test out, what better way than in the dead of Chicago winter at night in unfarmaliar territory after a full day of work? Cake walk, right? Well sort of. The trip to Morris, while a great success, felt still like car camping. We had a view of buildings and houses near-by and it was easy to pack up and out if we abosolutely needed too. The hike was insubstantial over easy to traverse terrain on a full moon lit night. We wanted to get away from all that and try to go one more step to the rugged side. In fact this would be the first time since highschool I had taken a hike in forrested terrain...SWEET!!!
Here's what happened:
Several days ago Jake and Nick posed the idea of a quick in and out operation. Jake and I were getting out of work at a reasonable hour and the weather suggested it might be a little bit warmer. Jake and got off work in the neighborhood of the 6:00pm hour and headed to my place so I could gear up. I have been in the habit of keeping things pretty well packed except clothes and food. Jake ran the stairs with me. It was easier than the day before and I think Jake realized he is not 21 anymore. 20 mins in and then swiftly we packed up the Jeep and headed for the Elgin rendezvous point. We hopped in our layers, checked our packs, and watered up. In the midst of Nick's arrival we also chatted with Jake's mom, she fully let us know how nutty she thinks we are for trudging out in the cold when she has a perfectly warm basement we can all stay in and have a nice time. I love how Jake described it to her, 'Mom, survival camping for us is like how you think curtains are fun. We don't understand it at all but it you think floppy pieces of cloth are a good time.' Maybe I am paraphrasing a bit, but you get the idea. The we set out for the insertion point around 9:00 or so. Saddle Up! And thus the true jouney begins. Upon setting out on our hike Nick tells us, 'So here's the deal. A large EMP device has been detonated 30,000 above the Earth completely wiping out Midwest power and communication. We need to get out of the main cities fast so we can formulate a more solid plan.'
This, to me, is a fantastic idea. Put yourself in that mindframe and see how we fair. While hiking we worked on things like observation, night navigation, and leaving as little tracking clues as possible. The trail we followed is apparently public land and it seemed pretty well used. We heard a bat, several coyotes communicating with each other and other wildlife off in the distance being restless, undoubtedly annoyed and the three lumbering hulks passing through thier space. This time around I was really thankful for two things, my change of footgear and my walking stick. For this trip I wanted to see how my Timerland slip-ons would fare. I was very happy with choice. I was able to feel the group and ruts, that would have turned my ankle, alot better than I could while wearing my big boots. They were also just as warm. I also now understand thoroughly the need for a walking stick. Helps take the weight a little and at least three times I would have tumbled into the cold water of the streams if I didn't have my trusty walking-stick. Which reminds me...
Along this trail we had two streams to cross to get to a fairly suitable place to set-up camp. The first stream was really not more than a trickle of water with some easy to navigate rocks. I slipped a bit and dipped my foot a littel bit. This is where I give my full endorement of my timberland shoes...no wet toes, not even really a hint of dampness, SWEET!!! Something like a wet sock could really make for unpleasent evening. Minor disaster averted, for now. For the most part the hike was not too exciting. The most notable thing with the number of stars visible to us. We had a new moon and clear skies. Orion, taurus, and several other notable constelations were greeting us from thier heavenly postions. Even Cassiopeia was a welcome site sitting upon her throne. One important observation gained however was in reguards to my eternal flash light. If you have not seen one of these things they are really very neat and handy in a pinch. They say they are practically indestructible. They have one small LED bulb and simple lens and a clear case. In the clear case there is a metal slide, some little wires, and a tube wrapped in copper in the center. You give it a quick 10-30 second shake and poof you have at least 30 mins of light. REALLY neat huh? And really handy, like I said, in a pinch. This is not a good light for nightime hiking as the bulb does not quite have a enough power or spread to assist with some of the nastier bits of trail. I found myself just putting it away and feeling my down the trail. A very Zen experience really. You have to trust your body and other senses beyond sight (what I wouldn't give for the sword of omens, shut up, I'm a geek, I know it and I am proud of it). I, however, have to say it was actually a good feeling knowing my other ense could help guide me along some nasty bits of trail.
We hiked and hiked and came to the second stream. Looking for a suitable place to cross, we discovered that this section was going to be a bit more diffcult thatn we thought. I am always leary of crossing over ice. I am a big guy and I have a heavy pack, which again makes me bigger in the eyes of the delicate ice below. It seemed the ice was pretty solid. Jake was the first to try to cross our icy sperpentine nemesis. Slowly he made his way accross. The stream at this point was about 50 feet across with fairly steep banks. Trudge trudge trudge, crickle, crackle, crunch, SPLOOSH!!!! Down Jake went. Luckily the boy is pretty nimble. He scurried up on the far bank and regrouped. At this point we collectivley decided without really speaking we needed to make camp NOW. Jake safetly navigated abotu three quaters back and them required a little helping hand from us. Jake got out of his socks and Nick loaned him his spare pair. We all quickly put up our shelters and Jake cleared a bit of a space for a fire ring. The good news is we had plenty of fuel, soggy as it was. Actually given the state of the nearby vegitation I was VERY reluctant to start a fire. Again we decided that Jake's need outweighed the enviromental impact concerns. The good news is Jake only dunked his leg really so he did not loose all his layers to this accident. A little tri-oxane and poof, we have a fire. (I love that stuff) I was origionally trying to get it started using some dryer lint and and small tinder but, as Nick pointed out, this was not the time to have to fumble for a few minutes so, we needed to get Jake's gear dry. (even though I am pretty sure I would have had a fire in no time).
An hour or so by the fire and Jake's gear was liviable. I believe me that Jake also slept ontop of his BDU's to dry the a little more as we slept. While the fire was live we were VERy vigilant of sparks and floating embers as everything in the area was VERY dry grasses and some very soggy wood. I most worried about all the tinder all around us. I had visions in the back of my head of being on the news for getting a little lazy with firewatch. We decided to heed advice given us by several different sources and get some hot soup and teas or hot choclate in us before sleep. I tried a new cinnamon tea and some good ole chicken noodle soup. Both were as expected, soup is soup and I have concluded i need to start carrying some sugar with me to sweeten my tea just a touch.
Warm food in our bellies snuggeld into out bags Jake asks a very 'existential' question,'If a wireless network forms in the Forest *DING*.' The gauntlet was thrown and a couple rounds of tent to tent MarioKart were our reward for not getting ouselves killed. Not suprisingly we found it was difficult to play for extended periods based on the cold and it was hard to keep the screen clear due to cold breath crystalizing on the gameboy itself. Then sleep washed over us like a beckoning darkness. I only woke up twice to readjust and rebanish the cold. I have purchased a new sleeping bag sadly, however, it will not be here for another three days or so. A fat lot of good it did me this week. *sigh* oh well, next time. In the middle of the night mother nature apparently wanted to test our mettle yet again. The temperature droped from the high 20's to around 10 degrees with a windchill of 0. A little adjustment and tossing my cloak over me kept me from freezing too badly. In my sleep I also found that acting like a cricket can warm a person considerably. 30 seconds of friction adds a good 5 or 10 degrees to the internal temperature of a sleeping bag.
When we woke it was, as mother used to say, colder than a witches tit outside. A fine layer frozen breath lined the inside of my tent like millions of little gems and my latern a had burned almost an entire candle. As I stirred I found that oatmeal made with last night's cinnamon teas was a very pleasent and warming breakfast. I also discovered that I was ravenously hungry. From what I have read it a person that is cold or worse yet shivering burns far more calories than normal. If one is in the onset of hypothermia the body can burn in upwards of 6000 calories per hour....sadly as my waistline still shows, I was not THAT cold. However we did find ourselves in the midst of a lovely winter morning. It did not take long for the sun to melt away the night's chill as we struck camp. We met a very indifferent gentlamn on our march home, with two lovely dogs. I think we may have spooked the guy a little when we popped up out of the brush. We march bravely back to the cars recapping our journey. The trail was much muddier than the night previous but passable all the same. Really all in all it was a beautiful morning. Sunny, blue skies, and a temperature that can be considered VERY comfotable to hike in. Jake and I took off directly and sped towards work as our hike back was a little longer than anticipated. We did a show that seemed to lat an eternity. When I finally landed at home it was roughly 6:30pm and I did not stir again till 7:30 or so the next morning.
When all is said and done, this was a good trip. We averted minor trouble and found that even when daunted by wet clothing and dropping temperatures we can keep our heads and get what we need done. I can't wait for the next trip....
Conclusions:
1. D's should never really cross a stream even when other friends have shown the way is safe.
2. I can't wait for my new sleeping bag.
3. I need a new tent soon. I could see spots where it was disintergrating.
4. Even though it is unorthodox and probably frowned upon, bringing some Gameboy DS's is a damn fine idea.
5. The cold doesn't really bother me much anymore.
6. Cinnamon tea is a must for winter hiking.
7. I really want to find my old watch that had a thermometer in it.
8. Tri-Ox is still the shit.
9. Small fires are good especially when they keep a member of the crew from freezing to death.
10. Lipton Side dishes are a great lighter weight alternative to Mountain House meals.
More camping soon....
I think I just want to give up my apartment and go live in the forest for a while. If Henry David Thourea could do it so can I....
Blessings and Light,
'D'
(MORE SOON...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home